ArtWalk at HPL offers one of the largest and most stunning exhibition spaces in Hartford, and we’re looking for artists to showcase in the 2014 ArtWalk series! Situated on the 3rd floor of the Downtown Library in a space that looks down onto historic Main Street, the gallery offers unique visibility and exposure, adding to the increasing vibrancy of Downtown Hartford. The ArtWalk hanging system’s movable panels allow maximum flexibility for each show.
The stunning state-of-the-art gallery was made possible through the generosity of donors, especially the Beatrice Fox Auerbach Foundation at Hartford Foundation for Public Giving.
The ArtWalk puts on four exhibitions each year. Artists are invited to submit a body of work to be considered for the following year’s exhibitions between August 1st and October 1st. From these submissions, the four shows for the following calendar year are chosen.
Artists living and/or working in the MetroHartford area will be given priority. Students, emerging, or established artists are all eligible. Artists must have a body of work sufficient for exhibition on the ArtWalk by the date of the exhibition.
A jury will select up to four artists with final approval from the Library. Criteria for selection include but are not limited to; 1) an artist’s resume or vitae and demonstrated ability, 2) an appropriate body of work that is compatible with the ArtWalk space, and 3) the ability to provide sufficient work ready for installation by an agreed-upon date.
Installations designed specifically for ArtWalk are encouraged. The jury will also consider the economic and physical feasibility of the proposed exhibitions. The jury may also recommend group exhibitions.
The selected artist(s) will generally receive a solo exhibitions (although the Library reserves the right to create exhibitions for multiple artists simultaneously), supporting marketing, an opening night reception, and an opportunity to present an artist talk to the public during the exhibition.
1) Documentation of Work – Up to six images of recent, current work or the work specifically being proposed for the exhibition on the ArtWalk on a clearly labeled CD-ROM/USB drive – jpegs only. (Physical work – slides, photographs, will not be considered. All work must be submitted digitally)
2) Include title, dimensions and medium for each image submitted
3) Up to three minutes of new media work will be viewed by jurors (clearly mark and cue the segment to be viewed)
4) A current resume with contact information including address, phone number and e-mail
5) A brief artist’s statement
6) Description and scope of proposed exhibition
If you would like your submission returned to you, please include with your application a self-addressed stamped envelope sufficient to return material. Otherwise material will not be returned.
Materials must be postmarked no later than October 1st.
Hartford Public Library
500 Main Street
Hartford, CT 06103
Artist(s) selected by the jury will be notified by phone and email no later than October 31st.